Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Love and Family



My husband, children, and I have just returned from out of state where we attended my parents' 50th Anniversary celebration . There I had the opportunity to see my parents, my siblings, nieces, nephews, aunts, uncles, cousins, friends and more! It was a sweet time of fellowship with laughter and memories gallore. An event that reminded me how swiftly the years go by, and of the family "support system" I have, and have been blessed with through the years. It was a time of inspiration and mutual encouragement. Part of who I am today is because some of these people cared for and about me....encouraged me through the challenges and difficulties I have faced in my life. They have also helped to make the happy times and events more joyful by rejoicing with me, and vice versa.



It is times like these, and other moments, such as when our college age daughter calls to ask for advice, or our teenage son comes to us with a problem, that I am acutely aware of the "family support" that the children in orphanages in Kazakhstan do not have. That and the lack of "real life" experiences often leaves many of these children "helpless" and "hopeless" after they "age out" of the orphanage system. There is often no one who truly cares about them, that they can call to encourage them or help them make wise choices.



I know I am being somewhat reflective today. These thoughts have also brought to mind how important the "family" that some of the children in orphanages in Kazakhstan do have is to them...how much the Sibling Reunions means to the sets of siblings who are reunited for a short time...how much siblings who live in the same orphanages cherish that bond. Another memory that came to mind was this photo. Lena, whose sponsor had sent her money for a shopping outing, could have bought almost anything she wanted for herself with her money. Do you know what she chose? Because of her love for her only sister...she chose a stuffed animal for her, and a smaller one for herself! Some of you sponsors are the only "support" and "family" some of these children have.



Thank you sponsors, for being a support system for some of these children--for reminding them that someone does care about them and their future!


Apryl

1 comment:

Nana and Papa said...

I love being a sponsor for Nina Vall. We have not met, but I feel so close to her. I wait for pictures she draws for Ken and me. I wish I could do more and make Nina's life happier. Not a day goes by that I don't think of her and smile because she is in my life. In my heart I hug her every day.
Barb

My Wish